« frame-door | overview | y-drive »
- Prepare parts for this subsystem (See BOM by subsystem)
- Assembly y-cart without top rollers.
- Each roller mount is built from an M4x25 screw, two lock nuts, and a large washer.
- The short vertical extrusions are attached with M5x25, the horizontal ones with M5x20 screws.
- Belt attachment screws are 14mm from the extrusion top edge.
- Radial distance between roller and extrusion is 3mm, as indicated in the photos below by the temporary plastic chip.
- Adjust the end pieces to fit tightly between the left and right gantry rail. both horizontal rollers should touch the rails. Make sure to test this when the drive system is in place. This assures perpendicularity along the entire y-motion. Adjust outer rails if necessary.
- Finish y-drive and attach belts.
- Mount top rollers.
- When adjusting top rollers you can take advantage of the screw shaft flex. Slide the rollers to a tight position then slide just a tiny tiny bit further. The screw shaft should be minimally slanted with the roller sider unnoticeably higher. When you tighten the screw it will grab the rail by the force of the screw flex.
- All rollers are fully on the rail, both laterally and radially.
- Most other checks should be done when the drive system is in place.